Facts learning to surf at Big Wave Bay
1. The wave season at Big Wave Bay is at October to April.
In summer, there are no waves unless there is a typhoon/cyclone.
2. During wave season at Big Wave Bay, the wave is usually big and dumpy. Beginners are recommended to learn in a small wave day only.
3. Big Wave Bay is a very small and crowded spot with many swimmers & surfers.
There is a shark net line distinguishing surfing & swimming area. But people surf & swim in the same area.
4. Big Wave Bay is a convenient spot, located in Hong Kong Island, accessible with private car & Public transport.
Recommend learning surfing when it is not crowded, like weekdays.
5. Watch out for the surfers
There are surfers who don’t know what they are doing, they just rent the board and try. They are not paying attention to the surrounding environment. Also, watch out for the surfers on the lineup during wave season, they might surf across the wave face and not friendly to the beginners. Therefore, you need to pay extra attention and try not to collide with others.
6. The teaching area on the left has lots of sharp rocks, especially during low tide.
Best Learning spot- Cheung Sha Beach, Lantau
Cheung Sha Beach, Lantau is the best choice for learning to surf in Hong Kong! The wave season in Cheung Sha is in summer (May to October) and the winter waves (Nov to April) are very gentle & consistent which suitable for beginner and improvers’ lessons. The beach has a long coastal line, assessable with public transport/taxi (20mins away from Tung Chung MTR/ 15mins away from Mui Wo Ferry Pier). There are different wave types for different levels of surfers within 10 mins walk. Most importantly, there is no crowded and with friendly local surfers! Our team currently is teaching at Cheung Sha, Lantau all year. Come experience the good vibes for surfing in Cheung Sha, Lantau.
Our team has been teaching at Big Wave Bay since 2015, and we moved to Cheung Sha, Lantau after 5years. To conclude, we recommend Cheung Sha, Lantau for beginner/improver learning and for beginner self-practice.